<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Old World Stone Ltd. - FAQs
  Frequently Asked Questions  

Where do you get the stones from and what colour are they?
Old World Stone buys material in rough block form from quarries around the world. Currently we have the following:
Indiana limestone    

• most commonly used material in our area
• light grey, buff, or variegated in colour
• excellent weathering characteristics
• can be used for just about any exterior application • available in blocks up to 20 tonnes.

Cleveland sandstone      
Imported from the Ohio quarries
• a variety of beige and greenish shades available
• quarry blocks are smaller in size which limits the available heights
• often called for in restoration projects.
Credit Valley sandstone
Quarried locally
• available in a wide range of buff, red and swirl patterns
• works well for walling, landscape work, sills and copings.
Wiarton limestone      
• used for landscape construction including pavements, walling, copings, treads, curbing, and waterfalls
• beige and black in colour. We have a large inventory in our landscape yard.
St. Bee's sandstone      
• Imported from England, this deep red sandstone is a beauty!
• main use is for restoration of historic stone buildings. We import this stone and others from around the world for specific projects.
Are you open to the public?
Tours of the plant are available to designers, contractors, property managers, trade school groups, and the general public by appointment.

Contact Laurie to arrange a time for your visit.

Wear rugged, waterproof shoes or boots.

What textures or finishes are available?

The most commonly requested finishes are sawn, sanded, sandblasted, bush hammered, polished, rock-faced and tooled. Sandstones and limestones take just about any finish you can imagine, however, they do not polish like marbles or granites with a shine. They have a matte finish.

See the samples on the front of our office building to get an idea of the infinite possibilities.

How much does stone weigh?
It's heavy! Figure approximately 150 pounds per cubic foot or 2400 kilograms per cubic metre. Make
sure you have adequate structural support to carry the load of this material.
What is the difference between cast stone and natural stone?
Cast stone is a man-made material. Cements and aggregates are combined and molded into a variety of building products for use as pavements, walling, and ornament. It deteriorates in the same way as concrete.

Natural stone is millions of years old, formed in the earth under enormous pressure. Although it costs more initially, It is more durable than cast stone and is a wise investment in the long term.
Do you have a catalogue of standard products?
No, sorry! Our brochures feature some of our projects and applications. We would be happy to mail one to you. E-Mail us a request at info@oldworldstone.com.

Each project is unique. We make window sills, quoins, lintels, copings, balusters or stringcourses to suit your project. We have a number of stock profiles from which you can select. Send us your drawings or dimensions and we will follow up with a quote.

Contact John.

Can you make something special for me?
Everything we do is a special project. Custom orders are our business. We do everything from landscape sculpture, memorial cairns, benches and tables, fireplace mantels, date stones, time capsules, balustrading, columns . . . Bring us your ideas.

Contact John.

Should I apply a sealer to the stone?
Generally, we discourage people from applying transparent sealers to natural stone. The pores of the stone must breathe. Moisture which enters the stone as humidity in the air or as rain must also escape. Sealers tend to impede this natural migration. Special circumstances, however, may dictate special treatments.

Contact John for more advice.
Confused by all the jargon?
Teach me some technical terms.    

Arris - A sharp edge produced by the meeting of two surfaces forming an exterior angle.

Ashlar - Cut stone of uniform dimensions and square edges, laid in horizontal courses with vertical joints, as opposed to rubble work.

Baluster - A short post or pillar, supporting a rail or coping and thus forming a balustrade.

Banker mason - A stone mason who works on a bench or table to prepare and shape their material.

Bolster - A blocking chisel for cutting stone.

Bush hammer - A hammer having a serrated face containing many pyramid shaped points; used to dress a stone surface; originally a hand tool but now usually power driven.

Column - An upright member, circular in plan and usually slightly tapering; in classical architecture it consists of a Basse, shaft, and capital. It is used to carry a load, but is also used ornamentally in isolation.

Coping - The capping or covering to a wall; either flat or sloping. Its function is to prevent water from running down the surfaces of the wall or penetrating the wall assembly. Most effective if extended beyond the wall line and cut with a drip edge.

Curbing - A raised rim of stone which forms the edge of a sidewalk or planted area.

Drip edge - A groove which is cut along the underside of a member such as a sill, stringcourse, or coping to prevent water from running back across it toward the wall.

Face Bedded - Stone that is set so that its layers of sedimentation are vertical and parallel to the exposed face; as opposed to natural bedding plane.

Finial - A formal ornament at the top of a canopy, gable, pinnacle, etc.

Flagstone, flagging, flag - A flat stone usually 1" to 4" thick, used as a stepping-stone or for terrace or outdoor paving, usually either naturally thin or split from rock that cleaves readily, sometimes produced by sawing.

Fleché - A slender spire rising from the ridge of a roof. Also called a spirelet.

Gargoyle - A water spout projecting from a roof, or a parapet of a wall or tower, and carved into a grotesque figure, human or animal.

Graft - To join a small piece of stone to a stone substrate by pinning or adhesion. A repair method used to replace deteriorated portions of a stone.

Limestone - A sedimentary rock that is formed by the accumulation of organic remains (as shells or corals), consists mainly of calcium carbonate, is extensively used in building.

Lintel - A horizontal beam bridging an opening such as a window or door. It carries the load of the wall over the opening.

Margin - The plain-dressed border on the face of a hewn block; the middle part of the face may be dressed or left rough.

Mortar - A mixture of cementitious materials (such as cement or lime) with water and a fine aggregate (such as sand); can be troweled in the plastic state and hardens in place. Non-staining white cement must be used when setting limestone to avoid staining. The mortar must always be softer than the materials which it is designed to separate; otherwise, spalling of the stone will occur.

Natural Bedding Plane - The surface upon which the stone was originally deposited (usually horizontal); as opposed to face bedded.

Pediment - A triangular or segmental feature, usually surrounded by a cornice and crowning an elevation, doorway or window opening.

Plinth - The lower vertical member at the base of a column or pedestal. Also applied to the projecting base of a building.

Quoin - The dressed stone at the corners of buildings, usually laid so that their faces are alternately large and small. Their purpose is to reinforce external corners.

Ribbed tooling - A stone finish applied by a broad chisel resembling corduroy fabric.

Rock-faced, split-faced - A stone dressed or cleaved to resemble a natural, rough stone face.

Spalling - The breaking off of chips, scales or slabs of stone from the main body of stone.

Sandstone - Sedimentary rock composed of sand-sized grains, naturally cemented by mineral materials. In most sandstone used for building, quartz grains predominate.

Sedimentary rock - Rock, such as limestone or sandstone, which is formed from material deposited as sediments, in the sea or fresh water, or on land.

Sill - The horizontal member at the bottom of an opening such as a window or door.

Split faced - see rock-faced.

Stringcourse, belt course, band course - A horizontal band of masonry, extending across the facade of a structure may be flush or projecting, and flat-surfaced, molded, or richly carved.

Variegated - Said of a material or surface which is irregularly marked with different colours; dappled.

Vermiculated - Ornamented by irregular winding, wandering, and wavy lines, as if caused by the movement of worms.

Walling - Materials for constructing building or landscape walls. It may be regular or irregular coursing.



2008 Old World Stone Ltd.